he claims An unknown hacker leaked the entire Twitch platform, including source code and user payments information.
The user posted a 125GB torrent link via 4chan indicating that the leak was intended to foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space.
The leaked data appears to be legitimate, including the source code for the Amazon-owned streaming platform. Internally, the platform appears to be aware of the breach, and believes the data was obtained recently.
The leaked data reportedly includes the following:
- The entire platform source code with comment history goes back to its early beginnings.
- Creators revenue reports as of 2019.
- Source code for platform applications for mobile devices, computers and platforms.
- Proprietary SDKs and AWS internal services used by the platform.
- Other platform products including IGDB and CurseForge.
- An unreleased Steam competitor from Amazon Game Studios codenamed Vapor.
- Red Teaming’s in-house platform tools designed to improve security by making employees pretend to be hackers.
Read also: YouTube competes with Twitch for content creators
Twitch suffers from massive leak
Some Twitter users have started exploring the torrent file and looking for the information that was leaked. One claimed that the file also contained encrypted passwords, and recommended users to enable two-factor authentication for security.
And if you have a Twitch account, it is recommended that you also turn on two-factor authentication, which ensures that even if your password is compromised, you still need your phone to prove your identity using either SMS or an authentication app.
The torrent also reportedly includes Unity code for a game called Vapeworld, which appears to be a chatbot based on Amazon’s unreleased Steam competitor Vapor.
Meanwhile, Vapor, the codename of the alleged Steam competitor in development, allegedly integrates several Twitch features into a dedicated game store. It also claims that the leaked documents show that popular operators such as Shroud, Nickmercs and DrLupo have earned millions from working with the popular streaming platform.
The anonymous leaker stated that this is only the first part of the content to be leaked. But he didn’t say what he plans to release either.
Also Read: Comparison of Game Streaming Platforms from YouTube, Facebook and Twitch