A 48-year-old father told a stoner how he collapsed in the street three times after allegedly getting shots during a night out to celebrate a friend’s birthday.
Craig Campbell fainted on the street three times while in downtown Newcastle last month after drinking four or five pints, despite saying it takes 16 beers to get drunk.
Darlington’s father, County Durham, who was celebrating his friend’s 50th birthday, realized after the meltdown that he had a bruise and a hole in his stomach and a hole in the shirt he was wearing in the exact same spot.
It follows an increase in ‘injectable spike’ cases, with nearly 300 cases reported across the UK in just the past two months.
Mr. Campbell has a “This can happen to anyone,” he warned, adding, “There’s going to be a guy who thinks he’s going to have a good night and won’t come home, and that makes me sick.”
Craig Campbell, 48, told how he collapsed in the street three times after allegedly getting shots during a night out to celebrate a friend’s birthday
Mr Campbell, who was out in downtown Newcastle to celebrate his friend’s 50th birthday, realized after the collapse that he had a bruise (pictured) on his stomach.
Abe Darlington, County Durham, also noticed a hole in the shirt (pictured) he was wearing at the same spot as a bruise.
Mr. Campbell, who owns a car conversion company, called the hospital as soon as he realized he was in danger of infection.
He was given a course of antibiotics as a precaution and now faces an agonizing wait until he can have an HIV test and a HEP B screening in three months.
Northumbria Police confirmed that they are investigating the incident. Campbell was advised not to reveal the exact location of the suspected hike, but it was a busy downtown bar.
Mr. Campbell said: You would never expect this to happen to someone like me. I only drank four or five pints of Guinness, which is about four percent. It usually takes 16 scoops to get me drunk. There is no way I could have collapsed due to this amount of alcohol.
You usually hear about young girls being targeted, not guys in their forties. These people need to realize that they will end up killing someone.
He added: ‘I’m 6 feet 1 inch. If the drug had been injected into a girl of seven or eight stones, she would have died. I may never know what has been pumped into my body, and it is so exhausting.
“A guy who looked like he was in his thirties bumped into me on the dance floor and I didn’t think anything of it, but within 20 minutes I collapsed and I can only remember small parts from there. It was only about seven in the evening.
Apparently I collapsed again on Gray Street, in the middle of town and two people helped me which I don’t remember. My wife still says it was the worst night of my life. She said she thought she would lose everything. I was sick for five days.
Mr. Campbell called the hospital as soon as he realized that he had been beaten. Northumbria Police confirmed that they are investigating the incident
Campbell realized after the collapse that he had a bruise and a puncture mark on his stomach and a hole in the shirt he was wearing in the exact same place.
In recent months, there has been a significant increase in the number of escalations reported to the police. In response, nightclubs and pubs were boycotted and demonstrations were held in more than 40 university towns and cities across the UK.
The Girls Night In movement in October saw women and men avoiding pubs and clubs in Manchester, Nottingham and Bristol as they demanded better safety measures.
Concerns about the potential for spikes in needles were first raised in October, although opinions are divided over how widely needles may be used instead of soft drinks.
Some victims of swipes reported feeling pinches on their arms in batons and later bruising, raising fears that they had been assaulted with needles.
Police Deputy Chief Jason Harwin, chair of the National Police Chiefs Council on Narcotics, said police forces continue to work with bars and clubs to increase staff searches and orientation.
A crowd gathered in Manchester in October to protest in a bid to urge venues to do more to protect customers from being overcharged
Mr. Campbell added: “I spent a week sitting around what happened and it kept me busy. I bumped into someone when I was outside last Saturday and had a bad reaction. I panicked and that’s when I knew it affected me.”
I only told eight people out of utter embarrassment. My friend suggested recording a video of myself talking about it, and that’s what I did and that’s how it ended up on Facebook.
I’ve had some great comments, and messages from parents and dads thanking me for doing so.
I have been contacted by mothers who have daughters in hospital. They say having someone they are happy to hold on to gave them peace. That’s why I wanted to share my story, so people in my demographic are aware of what can happen.
I’m not trying to scare anyone or stop people from going out, because the only people who win at that time are those who stick needles to people. It is simply to raise awareness.
A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: ‘We can confirm that we have received a report from a man who is concerned that he had an injection while spending a night in Newcastle on 6 November.
An investigation has begun and investigations into this incident are ongoing.
We proactively monitor the night economy and as part of Operation Cloak, we have assigned officers on patrol to protect the vulnerable and target anyone looking to commit crimes.
We also work with our partners and licensees to ensure the city remains one of the safest places to enjoy a night out. Anyone with concerns is requested to contact us as soon as possible.