The most obvious way to free up additional storage space in your Windows 11 computer is by removing unnecessary files, which can include many items such as large files that you no longer need.
And a variety of temporary files created automatically by the apps you use. and unnecessary applications.
Create more storage space in Windows 11
In the following lines, we will learn how to remove unnecessary files in your Windows 11 computer so that you can make room for new files. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Start menu button on the taskbar and then select the Settings option in the menu.
- In the settings window, click on the Storage option on the left side.
- Select the Storage settings option on the right.
- Click on the Temporary Files category at the bottom.
- On the next screen, check the box next to the items you want to delete. These include system update files, temporary internet files, and more.
- Once you have selected the items, click on the Delete Files option above.
- Return to the previous window and select the Apps & Features category.
- On the next screen select the app you want to remove and then tap on the Uninstall option.
- You can repeat the same steps for each of the categories in the previous window. And delete what you don’t want to save space.
Read also: How to enable fast startup mode in Windows 11
Enable Storage Optimization to automatically delete files
Storage optimization feature allows you to remove temporary files and Windows 11 system update files automatically. It can also be set to remove some unnecessary files such as files in the Recycle Bin or Downloads folder. To do that, follow these steps:
- In the search box at the top of the screen type: Optimize Storage.
- Click on the search result that appears in the pop-up window.
- In the next window you will find a variety of options which include activating or disabling automatic cleaning of temporary files. Determine whether the feature can manage user settings, set the feature’s work schedule, and more.
- First toggle the button at the top to the on position and then select the other options as per your wish.
It is noteworthy that OS Windows 11 allows you to automatically archive the apps you don’t use often. This is to reduce the consumption of storage space and connection data. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the search box at the bottom left of the screen, type: archive.
- Click on the AutoArchive rarely used apps option within the search results that appear to you.
- On the next screen, toggle the button at the top to the on position.