allows you to use Enhanced search mode In Windows 10, the search is more comprehensive and accurate. And find files faster and easier without installing a third-party search tool. This is done by comparing, searching and indexing each site to make it easier to find the files stored on your computer.
Activate Enhanced Search Mode in Windows 10
When this mode is enabled it may take some time to find files and may increase the power consumption of your system, however, you will still be able to use your computer while searching. But this reduces the indexing speed.
Additionally, the initial indexing of the enhanced search mode requires the laptop to be plugged in in order to conserve battery power.
To activate the mode, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings window on your Windows 10 computer and then click on the Search tab.
- Click the Search Windows option on the left side of the screen.
- Under the Find My Files section, change the option from Classic to Enhanced.
- Windows 10’s Enhanced Search mode now begins indexing all existing disks, folders, and files.
- You can see which items have been indexed and which items are pending in the Indexing Status section.
- You can speed up indexing in Enhanced Search Mode by excluding specific folders from the scan process.
- The mode excludes many system folders by default.
- You can choose which folders you want to index by clicking on the Advanced Search Indexer Settings option.
Read also: How to turn off sleep mode in Windows 10
Enhanced search customization
You can also exclude certain file types from indexing in Enhanced Search mode. By clicking on the Advanced option and then selecting the File types tab and unchecking any types that you do not want to be included in the search results.
In order to index file contents in addition to their names – which takes longer – select the file type and then click on the Index properties and file contents option.
And if you encounter any problems with Enhanced Search mode, you can delete the index and start over. To do this click on the Advanced option and then select the Index Settings tab and click on the Rebuild option in the Troubleshooting section.
And if you find that the Enhanced Search mode in Windows 10 finds too many results when searching, you can easily switch to Classic mode.
Read also: 5 ways to help you customize Windows 10