Facebook services are back after a six-hour outage

Facebook services are back up after a six-hour outage due to DNS routing issues. The outage disrupted WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger and Oculus VR as well.

For some, these services are now back in operation. However, after a DNS issue like this, it can take hours for everything to work properly across every network.

It was the largest outage since the 2019 incident that brought the site to a standstill for more than 24 hours.

Journalist Brian Krebs cites a reliable source who told him that the incident had no malicious origins. Instead, they said, it started with a routine BGP update that went wrong, clearing the DNS routing information Facebook needs so other networks can find their locations.

However, the problem meant that remote users could access the network to use it, and the people on the site didn’t have the network access needed to fix things.

This echoes what an anonymous Reddit account had to say about the issue (which was quickly deleted), which cited pandemic protocols as a reason the site had fewer people than usual, slowing recovery efforts.

“We are sorry to everyone affected by the disruption to our platforms,” ​​company spokesman Joe Osborne said in a statement. We know that billions of people and companies around the world depend on our products and services to stay connected. We appreciate your patience when we get back online.

The outage disrupted internal systems within Facebook as well, leaving employees unable to reach offices and easily communicate with one another.

Some employees explained that they were using Outlook email accounts provided by work, which allows Facebook workers to email each other. But they are unable to send or receive emails from external addresses.

Facebook explains why the service has stopped

The company said in post The six-hour outage that kept them offline along with WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger and OculusVR was the result of a configuration change in their routers — not a hack or attempt to access user data.

The explanation does not provide much detail. But it seems that the company’s devices were not able to communicate with each other. The company explains that this disruption to network traffic has had a ripple effect on the way its data centers communicate. This led to the suspension of its services.

CEO Mark Zuckerberg posted apologiesHe said the platforms are back up and running. Sorry for the disturbance. I know how much you rely on our services to keep in touch with the people you care about.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button