News

Madeleine McCann: We didn’t find clothes fibres, prosecutor says


Investigators probing the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have uncovered new evidence but have not found fibres from the missing girl’s pyjamas in the main suspect’s van, prosecutors told MailOnline today.

Christian Brueckner, 45, was named by police as the prime suspect in the toddler’s disappearance two years ago in the hopes that it would lead them to evidence that would allow them to formally charge him.

Hans Christian Wolters, who is leading the case, raised hopes of a breakthrough earlier this week when he hinted that new clues had been unearthed  – sparking wild claims that threads from Maddie’s pyjamas had been found in Brueckner’s van. 

But speaking exclusively to MailOnline today – in his first comments since that interview – Wolters rubbished the story, though continued to insist he does have new evidence that suggests Brueckner is the man responsible.

Pyjamas Madeleine was wearing when she vanished

Prosecutors probing the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have rubbished claims that fibres from the pyjamas she was wearing when she vanished have been found (right, an identical copy of the pyjamas released by police)

‘The whole story about the traces of fibres is total nonsense,’ Wolters said.

‘In the interview I said that we have found new evidence in the last two years. However, there was nothing [that proves Brueckner’s innocence] among them.

‘Everything we have found confirms to us our working theory that we are not going in a senseless direction. 

‘We are happy the suspect is the man responsible and will continue working in this direction. Nothing we have found so far suggests he is not the man responsible.

‘I cannot say anything about the further investigations results and individual pieces of evidence at the moment.

‘I was asked if we had found evidence of something of Madeleine McCann in the suspect’s van and I replied that I could not speak about the investigation, that’s all.

Investigators insist they do have new evidence that points to prime suspect Christian Brueckner, but will not say what it is

Investigators insist they do have new evidence that points to prime suspect Christian Brueckner, but will not say what it is

‘We have found no fibres and I can tell you the new evidence we have is not forensic evidence but I’m not allowed to give you any further details.

‘We remain convinced that the suspect in prison is the person responsible for the crime. There is no alibi. The suspect did not give us an alibi and we did not find an alibi during our investigations.’

Madeleine disappeared from the family apartment where she was staying with her family while on holiday in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in 2007.

The three-year-old was sleeping in a bedroom alongside her brother and sister – twins – while parents Kate and Jerry ate dinner with friends in a nearby restaurant on the evening of May 3.

Around 10pm, Kate went to check on the children as part of a rota system devised between the group and found Madeleine was missing.

The disappearance sparked a huge police operation that spanned Europe but failed to find any trace of the girl, and she remains missing to this day.

In 2020, police decided to name Brueckner as their suspect – an unusual move that they hoped would lead people to come forward and help with the investigation.

Brueckner is a convicted drug dealer with a history of sexual offences who is currently serving time in a German jail for the rape of an American pensioner at the Praia da Luz resort two years before Madeleine went missing.

Hans Christian Wolters said that none of the evidence he has gathered in the last two years since naming Brueckner has given him a satisfactory alibi

Hans Christian Wolters said that none of the evidence he has gathered in the last two years since naming Brueckner has given him a satisfactory alibi

Madeleine went missing from this apartment in the resort of Praia da Luz, Portugal, while on holiday there with her family in 2007

Madeleine went missing from this apartment in the resort of Praia da Luz, Portugal, while on holiday there with her family in 2007

Police say phone records show that Brueckner took a call in the area around Praia da Luz around two hours before Maddie went missing.

But they have so-far been unable to prove that Brueckner was the one who took Maddie, or say what exactly happened to her after she went missing.

Wolters says he believes she was killed in Portugal, but has not said how or where. 

Earlier this week it was reported Brueckner had told a US documentary that he was sleeping with an 18-year-old German girl the night Madeleine vanished and was miles from the Algarve apartment at Praia da Luz.

He told the show that the woman was also arrested for carrying illegal pepper spray but MailOnline has obtained the report and shows that she was arrested on May 10 2007 – a week after Madeleine vanished.

Prosecutors are looking at three further rape cases against Brueckner as well as two indecency allegations which all took place in Portugal’s Algarve coast between 2004 and 2012 when he was living there.

Mr Wolters added: ‘News on the other cases, aside from Maddie, is expected to be available in early June.’

Last week it emerged that Brueckner had a request for early release from his seven-year sentence for rape rejected.

He is thought to be considering an appeal to a higher court and is currently in Oldenburg jail.



Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button